March 1, 2011

"Let's Move!" Moves To Tennis With Michelle Obama

Did you catch the BNP Paribas Showdown on ESPN last night? Hopefully, you were tuned in right from the beginning in which case you got to see this great PSA featuring Michelle Obama, Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf:



I love Andre - what an actor.

This PSA is just a small part of Ms. Obama's nationwide "Let's Move" campaign which is seeking to fight childhood obesity by getting children to eat healthier and get moving for an hour a day. The campaign has an excellent website - letsmove.gov - where you can find a ton of useful information for getting not only your kids, but also yourself moving.

And kudos to the USTA for getting involved with Let's Move and tying it into their own "10 and Under" tennis initiative. The USTA is hoping to bring more children into tennis by introducing smaller courts and kid-sized equipment to tennis and, soon, to USTA youth tournaments. During last night's Showdown, Patrick McEnroe, USTA's General Manager for Player Development, talked about how they hope these kid-friendly changes will attract more young players to the game and, eventually, hopefully, produce more American tennis champions. Geez, I hope he's right.

My favorite part of this whole thing? Yes, I enjoyed seeing Andre and Pete Sampras play (Sampras won by the way - 6-3, 7-5). And yes, I liked seeing clips of the John McEnroe and Ivan Lendl match-up (McEnroe had to retire due to injury after leading 6-3 in the one-set, first-to-eight match). But what I loved was Michelle Obama's jacket! I mean I LOVED that jacket and I have been searching for it all morning. I thought it might be a Adidas by Stella McCartney jacket since Andre and Steffi were wearing Adidas in the PSA but I couldn't find it in the current collection. Then I thought it might be lululemon but, same thing, its not there. I even found a great site - Mrs. O - that follows the fashion of Mrs. Obama, keeping us up to date with what and whom she's wearing. But again - no luck. I'll bet this info will come out some time today and, if it does, I'll let you know.




Photobucket
© Kim Selzman 2011All Rights Reserved

No comments: