April 20, 2011

Tennis Breakfast: Banana & Coffee Smoothie!

My new mission is to find tasty and nutritious breakfast foods that I can eat in a hurry on my way to my morning tennis matches. And my latest is a real winner (to throw in some tennis lingo). I came across a recipe for a Banana & Coffee Breakfast Smoothie in the March 2011 issue of Health magazine. I've been playing around with it and have come up with what I consider to be the perfect Tennis Fixation version.

Here's the recipe:







BANANA & COFFEE SMOOTHIE

1/2 cup cold coffee (save some in the morning)
1 cup skim milk
1 banana, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon agave syrup sweetener
4 to 5 ice cubes

Combine all of these ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into your roadie cup and enjoy!

Note: To get the best coffee for this smoothie, pour off the first cup from your morning coffee and save it for later. Do NOT use the old coffee left at the end of the pot that has been cooking on the coffee pot warmer all morning - this coffee will taste burned and make your smoothie pretty much undrinkable. I speak from experience.

Now, if you're not a coffee drinker, this smoothie is going to taste a little harsh to you. But if you're into coffee, and especially if you'd like a cheaper version of a Starbucks frappuccino, you'll love this.

So what's the calorie count on this? I put this recipe into the recipe calculator at www.myfitnesspal.com and came up with a figure of 268 calories for the whole thing. I think that sounds pretty good! And since I'm such a nut for coffee (as evidenced by all of the coffee posts here on Tennis Fixation), this is the kind of smoothie I can see myself having at snack time too.

Give it a try and tell me what you think!



Photobucket
© Kim Selzman 2011 All Rights Reserved

No comments: