April 13, 2009

Hewitt Wins US Men's Clay Courts

Here's a photo of a Lleyton Hewitt backhand return taken by me with my cell phone at yesterday's U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships at Houston's River Oaks Country Club. Hewitt beat American Wayne Odesnik 6-2, 7-5. The match was lots of fun to watch as my seats were right up close to the action.

Hewitt is an incredible returner, changing it up constantly. Thank goodness. Because his first serve went in only 33% of the time! He's on his way to Monte Carlo right now for another clay court tournament so hopefully he'll be rested and ready to go for that.

I don't know what my favorite part of the match yesterday was - it might be all of the people-watching I got to do. Easter Sunday at River Oaks Country Club means lots of women in hats and high heels and lots of men in seersucker suits and pink slacks. But the best part was probably seeing Lleyton Hewitt's little girl run out onto the court to congratulate her daddy after his big win. Very sweet.

No comments: