May 7, 2009

May Is National Tennis Month!

Did you know that besides being "Get Caught Reading" month, May is also "National Tennis Month"? I didn't either!

To kick off this month-long celebration of tennis, last week, Billie Jean King and John McEnroe rallied on a tennis court located on a barge in the middle of the Hudson River. That seems pretty appropriate. (The photo here of McEnroe has nothing to do with National Tennis Month or playing Billie Jean King on a barge - I just liked it.)

According to the USTA, participation in tennis in this country has grown 43% since 2000 and 9.3% in the last year alone! If I can just find these new players taking up tennis, maybe that would be a group of people I could beat.

As part of National Tennis Month, the USTA is hosting "Tennis Block Parties" all month-long. They're free and open to the public and supposedly players of all ages and abilities can participate in instruction and games. Tennis Block Parties will happen at local public parks, schools and area tennis facilities. All of which sounds pretty fun although I haven't found one in my neighborhood yet. If you attend a Tennis Block Party or otherwise "celebrate" National Tennis Month, let me know!




© Kim Selzman 2009
All Rights Reserved

No comments: