September 8, 2010

What Is The Deal With Venus?



As we go into Week 2 of the U.S. Open, the last American standing (in singles anyway) is Venus Williams. And my questions is - what it the deal with these outfits? The montage above shows what she's worn for 4 out of the 5 days she's played. I can't seem to quickly come up with a photo of the dress she wore a few days ago but it is a red version of the spangly, fireworks-inspired looks she's done in black and magenta.

Anyway, my problem with this entire wardrobe is that all of these outfits just look so dang uncomfortable!  Forget about whether you or I or any other average tennis-skill level purchaser of tennis wear would buy this stuff.  Venus herself just doesn't seem to be comfortable in any of her outfits.  They all ride up with every move she makes.  Whether its a serve, return, backhand, forehand or overhead, Venus is constantly pulling and tugging on the hem of these dresses, trying to cover herself.  I don't know about you, but when I'm playing tennis, I have lots of things to think about, the least of which should be whether or not my dress is staying in place.  I can only imagine that a serious contender for the women's U.S. Open singles title also has plenty to think about when she's on the court.  And she certainly should not be worrying during her serve about whether ESPN is shooting a close-up of her behind for television viewers everywhere.    




Photobucket
Photo to the far right via Getty Images

© Kim Selzman 2010 All Rights Reserved

No comments: