May 1, 2012

Will Eating Berries Improve My Tennis Game?

I'm loving berries right now. They're in season here in Houston so they're super tasty and super cheap. And apparently eating berries can help fend off the mental decline of aging. Since I need all of the mental acuity I can come up with, both on and off court, eating berries seems like a "no-brainer" (brainy pun intended but not sure if I pulled it off).

Anyway, I just saw an article in the newspaper saying that recent research has shown that women who eat one or more 1/2 cup servings of blueberries or two or more 1/2 cup servings of strawberries per week over two decades tested 2.5 years younger on memory tests than their non-berry-eating peers. It turns out that berries are rich in "anthocyanidins" which can cross from the blood into the brain and affect the parts of the brain involved in learning and memory. While I'm not 100% sure what it all means and that seems like an awful lot of berries to eat, it sounds so scientific that I'm buying it.

Will eating berries improve your tennis game? Well, We all know tennis is a mental game so it seems to me that eating berries certainly can't hurt. Therefore, my personal conclusion - totally unsupported by scientific research is - yes! berries will improve your tennis!

Got some good berry recipes? Let me know and I'll be sure to try them out!  

Photobucket
© Kim Selzman 2012 All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

Mark @ Tennisopolis said...

Hi Kim, I just discovered your blog and subscribed to your posts. Very cool. Looking forward to more great stuff.
As for the berries, who knows? Probably. My attitude is that if it is natural, it is good. Plus if nothing else they should help you remember the score. ;-)

Mark @ Tennisopolis said...

Kim! I just realized who you are. I checked out your profile and I thought, wow, she looks familiar! So funny, the internet tennis world is a small place. Have you connected with any other players on the Tennisopolis Houston group lately? I hope all is well - I look forward to reading your posts now that I added you to my Google Reader.
Mark